Home Page
Trinity Court, Stockton Brook  Original artwork by one of our nursery school children! Navigate to Home Page
TC logo

A brief history of Stockton Brook Chapel

The foundation stone of a New Methodist Connexion Chapel was laid by Councillor Ambrose Wood of Hanley in 1885.

The Chapel was built on land donated by Edward Harrison.Harrison was the project's principle architect and his involvement is commemorated on a brass plaque displayed inside.

The Cornes family, influential local land owners, were also important members of the congregation. Mr Cornes and his wife are commemorated by two stained glass windows.

Stockton Brook Chapel Inside the Chapel (Looking towards the organ) Inside the Chapel (Looking towards the front)

The original "Seat Rent Book" remains intact. In 1885 local families are recorded as paying up to 5 Shillings a quarter to worship at the chapel.

The mahogany cased organ was built by Hill, a celebrated Victorian organ builder. It appeared to have been installed a few years after the chapel opened.

Moorland Nursery School made a great effort to ensure the historic instrument remained in this country. It was eventually sold to the MoD. Under the supervision of an expert organ restorer, a team of Royal Marine Commandos dismantled the instrument and moved it to their chapel in Devon!

Former school rooms Commemorative brass plaque Original seat-rent book

The New Methodist Connexionist Chapel was re-registered as Trinity Methodist Chapel in 1937. It was closed in 1977 and re-opened by Seventh Day Adventists before services finally ceased in the 1980s. The building stood empty until 1996 when it was taken over by Moorland Nursery School.

Youth Club at Trinity Methodist Chapel (c. 1960) Youth Club meeting (approx 1960) Table tennis team (approx 1960)

Throughout its long history, Trinity Court has been home to a private school, numerous youth groups, ballet classes and, of course, a nursery school.


Learn about the establishment of Moorland Nursery School in 1982.

Stockton Brook Methodist Chapel

A short history of our nursery school's premises before we took up residence in 1997.


Similar pages

You may be interested in these other pages tracing the history of the nursery school and Trinity Court.


The Bagnall days

Move to Trinity Court

Refurbishment (before and after tour) - coming soon!

logos and content Trinity Court (2017)